Monday 30 May 2016

The Regional Track

It was a big step up from racing in the Under 12s to the Under 14s, it's faster, bigger gearing, and it's longer. 

I raced first round of the four omniums the best I could, but I was deliberately on Under 12 gearing because that was what I was used to and was spinning my legs every time the Under 16s put up the pace in our combined events. I managed to secure third place, behind of Olivia Godsell and Hollie Owens. 

I've been getting more powerful this year and so put my gear up to the Under 14s gearing for the second round. This really helped and I wasn't getting dropped. I raced even better than I did the first round, with my confidence growing every race. 

The third round was my best. I had been upgraded a lot, with faster tyres and proper road cleats instead of my MTB cleats. I did the best track time trial I've ever done finishing first! In the elimination it came down to me and Hollie to do a match sprint, she went first, getting a gap on me. I pulled it back and finished second by about a wheel. This meant we were drawing on points! We raced with the Under 16s for the scratch race, which wasn't too bad as they towed us along! I finished second to Hollie. By the kierin I was getting nervous as I knew I could win overall. I gave it everything and I won! This meant we were drawing on points leading into the points race. I was a nervous wreck and just wanted to race. On the first set of points I went for a long sprint, starting it at 300 meters, kicking first, holding it, then kicking again at 25ish meters. I won the points setting myself in the lead overall, but my race wasn't finished yet. I did the same tactic for the next two sprints winning both of them, meaning I had won the omnium! By the time the fourth one came my legs were shouting at me to stop. I ignored it and managed to get maximum points again! I finished first overall and ahead of Hollie Owens. I was over the moon! 

The fourth round was the next day, so I was shattered. I raced my hardest winning the timetrial, second in the elimination and scratch, with third in the keiren. I had to win three of the points to win. As it turned out, it came down to the last sprint, in the last race and a photo finish. I came second in the last sprint, which meant Olivia took the overall win. I was happy how I raced and had improvements to make.

This meant I have qualified for the National finals down in Cardiff!


No comments:

Post a Comment